Friday, March 11, 2011

From the Archives: Elmo Cupcakes

A few heavy, serious posts around here lately.  Needed a change.  What's the opposite of heavy & serious?  ELMO!  Really, can you think about that giggle without at least a little smile sneaking across your lips?  I think not.
I made these cupcakes for J's 2nd birthday (almost 3 years ago!!) back he was super obsessed with Sesame Street and before there were fun crafty blogs and linky parties to visit.  Since Elmo is still super cool with the under 4 set, I thought I'd post and share how EASY they are to make - and I am definitely not a cake decorator!  I did originally get the general idea for these cupcakes online, but have absolutely no idea where.  I'll just give you my version of the how-to.


  1. Make your cupcakes.  Please just go ahead and use a box mix.  Your 2 year old really is not going to care - I promise.  I prefer Funfetti.  :)
  2. Make icing (again, if you are going the easy route, just use a tub of the Betty Crocker or whatever is on sale).  I tinted mine with some red food coloring so it wouldn't be as noticeable.
  3. Spread icing on cupcakes, and then dip the tops in red sprinkles, or jimmies, whatever your preferred name is.  You want the longish kind - not the sparkly sugary kind.
  4. Add the mouth - half an oreo.  Use a serrated knife to cut, because breaking an oreo in a straight line is harder than it looks.
  5. The nose is an orange gumdrop - just stick it right in the middle!
  6. The eyes are white chocolate wafers with a little dot of black decorating gel.
There you have it - super simple and adorable!  Add some red plates & napkins and you've got yourself an Elmo party.  Have a great weekend everyone!!


For a list of some parties I may have linked to, click here!

Thank you, Frugal Girls!!!



7 comments:

Ladybird Ln said...

Could those get any cuter? My little boy would love those, I will have to try it! You might even be able to use colored coconut for the 'fur'! Thanks for sharing, I am a new follower!

Carlee,
ladybirdln.blogspot.com
I would love it if you would return the love, and enter in my FIRST giveaway, so exciting!

Ladybird Ln said...

PS, where do you get white chocolate waffers, is it a name brand?

Kitty Deschanel said...

I'm encouraged by you saying these are easy to recreate, but I'm still not sure I can pull this off! They look perfect :)

If you get a chance, I'd love for you to link this up for my Not "Baaad" blog hop, which is up right now. It's unlike other linkies in that you actually compete with the other linked posts for my Best in Show award :)

Michelle said...

Wow, those are super cute and sounds super easy! My oldest 3 1/2 is pretty much over Elmo already, but we'll have to try them when my little one turns 2. That's about the Elmo obsession age as I remember.

Heidi said...

Angie ~ these are over-the-top ADORABLE!! Thanks so much for sharing! {I love those Oreo mouths!} :)

Melissa said...

Absolutely adorable!

Carolyn said...

I love Elmo... he is gorgeous. Thanks for posting, a great idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...