Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Light Saber Pretzel Rods

When I started looking around online for ideas for Jackson's Star Wars party, I saw pretzel rod light sabers listed several places, including here.  I wasn't able to find a picture or a tutorial, so I thought I'd write one up.  They were a little time consuming, but super easy, and turned out great!

Step 1:  Gather your ingredients....pretzel rods and various colored candy melts.  (These are Wilton brand vanilla flavored and you can find them at craft stores like Michaels or Joann's if they aren't at your grocery store). 


Step 2:  Get ready to melt!  You can probably do this in the microwave, but I seem to always have bad luck with that, so I prefer a double boiler.  I use a homemade version - big pot on bottom with a little water, and small pot on top.


Step 3:  Dump wafers into small pot - these were looking a little "old" and starting to get that white coating, but once they started melting they were fine.

 

Step 4:  As water in bottom pot boils, steam will heat the top pot, causing the wafers to melt.  Stir until smooth.


Step 5:  Once melted, coat the pretzel about 3/4 of the way down.  I spooned the melted wafers on, and then shook the pretzel rod to remove the excess.
 

Step 6:  Stand upright to dry - turn an egg carton upside down, cut X's in it, and stick the rods in - thanks, random lady at Joann's for the tip!!  Repeat steps 1-5 with other colors.

 

Step 6:  Making the light saber handle - (make sure your light sabers have completely dried before doing this!) you will want to cover the bottom 1/4 of the pretzel rod with aluminum foil.  Cut the foil and fold down the top and bottom edges - be careful, foil can cut your fingers!  (Step 6B - wash your poor finger and get a bandaid!)

 

Step 7:  Wrap bottom of each pretzel rod with foil.

 

Step 8:  (Optional for a slightly more finished look) Get out your trusted Sharpies.  Using black, draw a line near the bottom of the foil and another one near the top.  Using red, make a dot under the top line.

 

Step 9:  To display, you could just leave sitting out like the above picture.  I chose to stand them upright in a tin bucket, mostly so they would take up less room on the food table!


Step 10:  Enjoy!!




Click here for a list of parties I may have linked to!


This project has been featured!  Thank you SO much!!


Bubbly Nature
RosyRedButtons

19 comments:

Heather said...

Cute idea, I have been tryin to come up with ideas for my sons birthday and he LOVES star wars!.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

The Star Wars party is going to have very happy kids.
- Joy

Unknown said...

That is fabulous!!! I am so in love with this idea! And using the egg carton is genius! I will definitely be stealing that trick! Great job!

amy@flexibledreams said...

These look awesome! When I was a kid my mom would make chocolate dipped pretzels and use an egg carton to hold them. I do it too but I've never seen anyone else use that technique.

Unknown said...

So awesome!

Camilla said...

LOVE these! What a fun idea! I really have no kids that age, but I'm not going to lie, I may just make them for myself. :) Featured them today on Whimsical Wednesday!
http://rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

So cute! I love the sign you made to go with it...and using an egg carton while they dry is pure genius!

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

I was hoping that you'd link this one up! :)

Alison Agnew said...

this is such a cute idea...wish i'd thought of something like these when i did my son's star wars party last year...sigh...maybe my next son can benefit...thanks for sharing...visiting from nikki's linky and now following.

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Brandy J. said...

Okay, these look so easy and are so cute! Thanks for yet another fabulous idea.

Kelli W said...

These are so cute and I love the sign you put on the bucket!

Anonymous said...

how FUN! :)

Unknown said...

What a fun and easy idea! Thanks for sharing! My 4yo son would go crazy over it. I came over from Tatertots and Jello :) ♥- Katrina

Sharonmominpa said...

Hi Angie,
I just happened to click on this and realized it was you! My son, Mark, loved this idea and wants it for his party. thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I just did some of these too! I didn't think of the tin foil though. Very cute.

Unknown said...

These are great! With 4 boys (so far) I know this will come in handy...thanks! :)

Sarah (Found you at Bubby Nature Creations)

Unknown said...

O my gosh---just too cute! What a creative idea!!

Heather Truckenmiller said...

These came out great!!

BeingBrook said...

What a cute idea! My boys are obsessed with Star Wars and I can see these making an appearance at a future birthday party!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...